Tuesday, 14 May 2013

Sewing Vintage Modern Book tour with a Lace blouse


Hello lovely sewing friends what have you been sewing lately? I have a little update for you again as a part of Sew Book Inspired series. After I completed the Vintage inspired Jackie dress and being pleased with the results I always wanted to make more from the book - Sewing Vintage modern. Especially the Lillian blouse. It took me a weekend to complete this sewing project I made it for a very exciting sewing contest and a sew along.

The challenge was to make any garment which matches a red and gold sandal. This made me go hunting for lace fabric and gold buttons. Luckily I bumped into a shop which had lace (though it did not house a variety of colors- RED was there .. Yeahhhh!!). Finding the gold buttons was more tough actually ! Finally I found some though they were not the ones I exactly wanted. 

Golden Buttons

This blouse is a variation of the Elizabeth gathered waist dress from the book Sewing Vintage modern. It is not a fitted blouse, it has a yoke made of lace, a buttoned up collar and drop shoulders. The model in the book has tucked the blouse and pairs it with a skirt. I prefer not to tuck it in and a collar which is not high and all buttoned up.
Sewing this slippery fabric was not easy . I had stabilized the fabric before hand and I had to use a lot of pins to get it going smoothly.
Lace Yoke




I was a little doubtful while drafting if the variation pattern would fit me fine. I crossed my fingers and went ahead. Well the final blouse turned out really good and it is very comfortable to wear. I made it over the weekend and wore it the next day and got a lot of compliments, but no one knows I made it;)
The complete review on the pattern is at the pattern review. Click here to read it completely.I submitted it as a part of the accesories wardrobe contest.
Also there is an exciting sew along happening at macskakat blog. I came to know of it from the CuriousKiwi blog. Check out my side bar for the link.  
To see more projects form this book click here. I am planning to make many mnay more :)

 Love Diya

13 comments:

  1. wow its beautiful!!!!!!!!!!
    contrast buttons and lace design is perfect match for the running fabric...

    this s one of the best top from your collection:-)
    good work keep it up...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, looks good! I imagine this soft fabric must need a lot of care when working with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed. I had to stabilize before I started to sew and used a lot of pins :)

      Delete
  3. Oh...it is beautiful. I love it..

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one impressive project! I love the details of the lace and the red and gold contrast. Truly beautiful.

    Have you ever worked with batiks? A friend sent me some handdyed ones from India and I'm almost afraid to use them because I don't want to mess over them and I'm thinking they need to be rinsed or something but I'm not sure. Any suggestions? I have 4 prints.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Libby, I have replied about the batiks via mail:)

      Delete
  5. This is such a beautiful blouse! What a lovely color. I can imagine how difficult that slippery material must've been to work with. You did an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gorgeous blouse! I love the lace yoke, and those buttons are very cute. :-) Good luck with the Pattern Review contest!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that blouse :)


    www.vindiebaby.com
    Vintage Inspired Girls

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a really pretty top, I love the lace inserts :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE it, Diya!!! Just beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, RED... pretty and the lace makes all the difference!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely Diya, beautiful, wish to make one too!

    ReplyDelete

Adding comments is easy and I love to read them :)I reply questions right here.. So check back :) If your comment does not appear, then there is a bug. Try adding again.