Wednesday, 17 October 2012

Sewing Shorts! + Free pattern

Cutting some shorts stories long!! I made three shorts. Cool right!. I love to draft and design my own clothes.My Cherry blouse was the first one to join the queue. Sometimes I like using patterns too. So a mixture of this and that is the sewing side of me and this post. Here I write about the free pattern I used and the drafting I did for making some cool shorts..



I was all nervous since its the first time I was going to sew shorts. So I made a muslin with cotton , and it turned out to be a perfect wearable muslin.
   
I used the free shorts pattern from owlybaby. You can check it out here.  It is available in only one size Ready to wear size -4 (Approx 29" waist and 37"Hip). So if the size mentioned fits you then go grab it and make for yourself.The instructions are good , I read them twice to make sure I got them right. As i followed the instructions and made my muslin, it made me stop fretting. As I kind of knew it will turn out well. I did not roll up the cuff for this one. Homely look and comfortable to wear.
                       
The second shorts I made with a sky blue material and a darker tone lining,for my friend. Sewing the zipper was quite easy. The material I used is not very stiff one so a little bit of wrinkles can be seen. But I am still happy on this.



                         


How are they ? Girly and cute na ?
Now jumping to an altogether different field. Sewing For men!! I drafted this Boxer pattern myself. Using the instructions from here. I added extra flap at the fly to accommodate a button. The steps are pretty neat , but I should make some length adjustments next time when I plan to make. Material used is hand loom cotton.

  
So have you made shorts ? Whcih pattern have you found to be comfortable ?. Can you share some tips or the link on how you made them ? Feel free to add you suggestions too. It will be helpful for any new sewer.

-Diya

P.S : I have linked up my project to all/some of the links here.

6 comments:

  1. Cute shorts! I like that style...now if only the Owly Baby free pattern fit me.;)

    btw, I'm visiting from the Creative Itch linky party:)

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diya, those are both adorable! I guess I like the printed ones best, they look so comfy! I am not a sewing kind of girl, but I admire your skills!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cuffed shorts look great, Diya. Love the way you've matched the topstitching and the lining. Great going making the pattern for the boxer shorts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. incredible creativity!!!

    Awesome color selections of fabric and nice patterns!!!
    Good work keep it up:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So creative! Thank you for linking up to The Weekly Creative link party. I hope you'll stop by again this Monday to link up more of your fun ideas.

    Have a great weekend,

    Shannon @ Sewing Barefoot

    ReplyDelete
  6. cool...loved d post..
    lets follow each other
    myfashionbaye.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete

Adding comments is easy and I love to read them :)Also it helps me find more crafty bloggers. If you have a question I reply to them right here.. So check back :)